Brendon and Sarah Joy Hollingsworth

Brendon and Sarah Joy Hollingsworth
The two shall become ONE! The Beauty of marriage!

Bundle of JOY

Bundle of JOY
Our Family Grows! We thank the Lord for the blessing of the little one He has given us!

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Home Sweet Ganta

Home Sweet Ganta
September 27, 2008

I arrived in Ganta three days ago and the last two days I have spent traveling to the three Equip Clinics that are going through the BPH accreditation process and performing a baseline assessment. It has been busy but exciting at the same time knowing that I will have the opportunity to work with these people and serve the people in these clinics and the community.

Today was Saturday and after doing all my laundry by hand, hanging it out to dry, and having a short meeting with some Equip staff members I went with some friends to watch a game of Kick Ball!!! Kick Ball is a huge organized sport here for the girls and women. I found out that they practice every day at 5 pm and that I can play on one of the teams so I hope that will work!! It was so fun to watch a sporting event in Liberia. I took some pictures of the referee and you will laugh! The game of kickball was highly attended and pop music was played so all the kids were dancing! It was so fun to be a part of the festivities.

I went and bought some fabric in the market today to have an African dress made for me! It cost me about $4.00 US to buy all the fabric to make the dress. It will probably cost about $5.00 US to have the seamstress sew the cloth together to fit me! I am excited. Yes, the color is pink! I buy oranges and bananas a lot. The exchange rate is 62 Liberian Dollars (LD) to 1 American Dollar (USD). You can by 3 oranges for 5 LD, which is about 8 cents! I eat the same thing every day--Pepper Soup (rice and spicy beef broth). The meat I saw in the market today blew me away. Dried whole hind legs of small goat, cow, and sheep with the hoof and leg hide still on and flies swarming and landing all over the meet. Smoked LARGE snails are all over the market! I just wonder how long some of those have been in the same sellers basket of goods!

Home Sweet Ganta

2 comments:

Joy said...

Sarah Joy,

Glad to find your blog. I just returned in May from working with Equip Liberia and living in Ganta (I was at Rehab).

Please tell Maryanne hello for me. I'll be tuned into your blog. I LOVED Ganta...far preferred it to Monrovia. The weather should be great these next few months as the rains dry up. Ganta has much better temps/humidity than Monrovia. Enjoy it!

Joy said...

Oh, have you connected with a church yet? I attended the United Liberia Inland Church where Maryann goes.

Cheers.