Brendon and Sarah Joy Hollingsworth

Brendon and Sarah Joy Hollingsworth
The two shall become ONE! The Beauty of marriage!

Bundle of JOY

Bundle of JOY
Our Family Grows! We thank the Lord for the blessing of the little one He has given us!

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Liberian Food


So this is Liberian Food: RICE (a Liberian says they have not eaten today if they do not eat rice), potato greens, Casava (a root that is similar to a extremely dense potato), Casava leaves, Foo Foo, GB, Fish, eel, goat, sheep, pig, ochra, pumpkin soup, peanut butter soup, pepper soup, HOT SPICES, FRIED everything, OIL, Orange, Grapefruit, Pow pow (Papaya), cucumber, godi plum, coconut, and peanut butter/seed bars, etc.

There is no electricity so there is no stoves or microwave which means everything is cooked over a hot coal pot outside! It is great!!! I will have to show you more pictures as I take them. The Liberians are known to eat anything that is mobile so I have not been so excited to eat the "meat" in dishes when I go places!! They also use every part of the mobile creature, meaning they do not take off the head, tales, scales, guts, eyes, hoofs, of any creature so that makes dishes that more exciting! The Foo Foo and GB is a dish that is made from pounded casava (which is a root) and then it becomes a dough like substance and then you pull off a piece, dip it in some type of "soup" and swallow it whole! It is a different experience!

My favorite things to eat are grapefruit, oranges, cucumbers, pepper soup, pumpkin soup, peanut butter soup, and coconut candy and the peanut butter/seed balls! I am learning how to make all of them!

6 comments:

Casey said...

Sarah i am so proud of you.....Even when we were kids we all always new that some day you would be following your heart and sharing your love....Stay safe, and i can't wait to sit down with you and share in all your stories and pictures of your experience.....love you so much...if you have time go look at the wedding website ok i sent you an e-mail with the link....i want to keep you posted with all that stuff it will be like you are here...I got your families RSVP back and i am so excitrd they will be there..i love girl and pray for you always---love, your sister Casey, and the rest of the Moffitt's

Hannah said...

Love you Sar Bear... ummm... are you turning to a non-eater? =) hehe. Just kidding, I'm sure it tastes great... different is not always bad, sometimes it's really good... but be careful anyways, use your common sense and nursing judgement to stay as healthy as possible... God will do the rest to keep you happy and healthy. I love you. Today I am praying for you and your big decisions about what you are called to do. I love you stay in touch and let me know what you decide!

Anonymous said...

The food there is very similar to Ghana, I love casava and foo foo, and of course you can't beat the fruits!

Sarah Dolge said...

Sarah...what an adventure. I'm sure the yearly tradition of moose ribs is sounding better than ever! Thanks for all the updates. I pray for you often, especially with the decision you recently had to make about your trip...where to and how long. I trust God has given you a peace about your choice. We (me and my boys) pray for Tiedo daily. I've shown them what he looks like and they talk about him like he's one of hteir buddies. I promised to show them his picture and nearly forgot. Trevor piped up this morning...mom, you forgot to show us a picture of Tiedo! So, he's in our thoughts and prayers daily. I pray for God to restore him. The glory of God is the fullness of man, not the brokenness of these children. I know God's heart breaks for these little ones. I pray that He will be glorified in little Tiedo's life. We love you Sarah! Take care and try out the goat hoof for me! :) Love, Dolges

Father Carlson said...

I love you Sarah and miss you so much it hurts

Father Carlson said...

Sarah, Buddy made the Varsity team, twins are hurting but happy (Naomi back and Mary forearm) They are just rowing too hard but the coaches love them. Hannah has a car now...and old Grand Prix that seems in pretty good shape. She is learning lots in ICU. Sam and Leah are happy Leah goes to Minneapolis to see Hannah and Buddy over Thanksgiving and playing U19 hockey at the Thoroughbred tourney. Sam is playing when he can. Sarah, please keep healthy.