Brendon and Sarah Joy Hollingsworth

Brendon and Sarah Joy Hollingsworth
The two shall become ONE! The Beauty of marriage!

Bundle of JOY

Bundle of JOY
Our Family Grows! We thank the Lord for the blessing of the little one He has given us!

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Speaking Mano

Well, today I had Crab Soup over white rice and I watched as the two other people with whom I was sharing my bowl of food put their fork in the middle of the crab’s body, broke it in half and then put the whole piece of crab—face, claws, body, and guts—in their mouth and began to chew—crunch, crunch, crunch was all I could hear. All I could think of was, “how can that be enjoyable?” I tried to do like them by placing an entire crab leg (Wooo!) in my mouth and biting down but the crunch and the pain it gave my teeth just didn’t seem worth it! Liberian style Crab Soup! Expect the unexpected when it comes to food! I am only beginning to understand what people mean when they say that Liberians don’t waste ANY food. The bones of fish that you would usually give to your dog or cat are loved by Liberian men, women, and children more that the fish itself. I watch kids fight all the time with the scraps coming from the area around the coal pot!

I saw another first when it comes to Liberians and their food! I was watching a HUGE football game, Monrovia verses Ganta, and was cheering loud for Ganta when the man standing beside me bought fried plantanes (they taste and look like potatoe chips) and after consuming the chips he just started eating the clear plastic bag they were packaged in like it was totally normal!!!

I have been trying to learn the dialect here in Ganta, which is Mano, and I have loved it! “Ba Vo” is “Good morning.” “Um toe la de?” is “what is your name?” “Um toe la, Sarah” is how I respond meaning, “my name is Sarah.” “Coma, ipea?” is “How is the day?” “Ipea la se!” is, “The Day is Good!” It means so much to the people I pass when I try to use my Mano. They sometimes try to teach me a new word or correct my pronunciation. It is so fun!

Liberians are known for their Liberian handshake!! It is similar to a normal handshake in that you grab the other person’s right hand and you shake but as you pull away you both snap your fingers. I love it! Because handshakes are so engraved into the culture here I have made up an “American” handshake that the kids LOVE to do as I walk by their homes in the morning and evening. I have made some great friends along my path. I met one lady whose name is Hannah and she is a seamstress and is going to make me my second African gown. She has a sister named Sarah, so we said that we are family since I have a sister named Hannah as well! It has been great to get to know her. I always ask Liberians their name because many of the names are Biblical and it is a great way to talk about Jesus and the Bible and about the man or women in the Bible they are named after! It has been some great conversation starters and I am praying that God would receive all glory and continue to draw their hearts to His!

It is hard being here. There is so much need, so much poverty. Kids and young adults who have so many dreams about what they want to do with their life but because of the lack of money they are unable to finish high school, let alone pay for college tuition. The song, “Give Them Jesus,” plays over and over in my head as I walk through the village. That is all I can give them is the Love of their Heavenly Father. It is hard to have so many people coming up to you asking for money to help them go to school, buy them a school uniform or shoes so they can attend their classes, notebooks, backpacks, help them attend computer school, or asking if I will carry their child back to America. Sometimes I have to hold back the tears as the mothers hold out their child and tell me that I can have their baby when I leave and carry them back to the states. Lord, provide for these children and shower them with your love!

I tell you it is still so funny for me to walk down the road and pass people just peeing and pooping in the open area, not even seeking privacy. Grown ups and children alike, and everyone stops in the middle of their poop to say, “Quiplu! Quiplu! Quiplu!” which means, “White woman, white women, white women!” while there are squatting and then they finish as I pass by! I have to smile and just laugh to myself! Women just walking around without a top, women nursing their baby as they are cooking or walking, Liberians bathe in every stream that is visible by the road because they can walk to the water source by the road so it is easier for them, many naked bodies as you pass by! Not only are they bathing, they are washing their dishes, washing their cloths and sometimes going to the bathroom in the same pool of water. It is quite a sight.

The orphanage that is in the same compound as Ganta Equip office functions often as a Foster Home for extremely malnourished children, which means that when the children are healthier and doing better physically they are able to go back to their parents. Often one family member, either a mother or an older sibling, will come take care of their sick brother, sister, or baby at the orphanage and then when the child is healthy they will carry them back home. It is so exciting to see a child come in so malnourished then leave healthy with their family member, but it has been hard to see some of the kids I love so much leave. Little Tiedo, Pappi, and Emmanuel have all left. I just pray that the love that I was able to pour out on them while they were at the orphanage was the love of Jesus and that they may know that their Heavenly Father loves them so much!

I have been thinking a lot about what the people in Jerusalem did when Jesus walked down the street. How did He respond to them? Did they ask Him for money? He was God so He could tell whose heart was sincere when people asked Him to help or heal them. I know that it says in scripture that wherever Jesus went crowds followed Him and I wonder if some of those people only desired to get something for themselves. I am sure the weight of the sin of the people weighed so heavy on Jesus that He longed to get away to His quiet place and just talk to His heavenly father. I pray that they Lord would give me Kingdom Eyes and give me a greater hunger daily of the need to draw deep from His well that never dries!

We are getting a lot of stuff done in the clinics. There is so much work to do but I am just praying for wisdom and energy from the Lord.

No comments: